Thursday, February 02, 2012

The Attabad tragedy

The News editorial of January 30 aptly described the problems being faced by the affectees of the Attabad landslide disaster and the damming of Hunza River, which have isolated the people of Gojal Valley (upper Hunza) for two years. I want to highlight the issue of two internally-displaced persons, Sher Ullah Baig and his son Sher Afzal, who belonged to one of the submerged villages, named Ayeenabad, and were shot dead by police in Aliabad Town of Hunza Valley on August 11, 2011, during a protest. The police shooting had led to widespread protests, incidents of arson in Hunza and unrest across Gilgit-Baltistan, as thousands of people took to the street to condemn the police brutality.

The administration was quick in registering cases against hundreds of youth and arresting several dozens on charges of protests and arson, but no action was taken against the police officials who shot dead two internally-displaced persons. The Supreme Appellate Court of Gilgit-Baltistan had ordered a judicial inquiry of the tragic violence, unprecedented in the recent history of Hunza Valley. It has been five months now and nothing is known of the inquiry. No action has been taken against the police officials but eight people, mostly political activists, held on charges of arson are languishing in a prison in Gilgit city. The story of the Attabad tragedy is incomplete without mentioning the murder of two IDPs by state forces and the condemnable acts of violence that occurred in reaction to the police shooting.

Noor Muhammad


Published in The NEWS (February 2, 2012)


اگر ممکن ہے تو اپنا تبصرہ تحریر کریں

اہم اطلاع :- غیر متعلق,غیر اخلاقی اور ذاتیات پر مبنی تبصرہ سے پرہیز کیجئے, مصنف ایسا تبصرہ حذف کرنے کا حق رکھتا ہے نیز مصنف کا مبصر کی رائے سے متفق ہونا ضروری نہیں۔

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

اگر آپ کے کمپوٹر میں اردو کی بورڈ انسٹال نہیں ہے تو اردو میں تبصرہ کرنے کے لیے ذیل کے اردو ایڈیٹر میں تبصرہ لکھ کر اسے تبصروں کے خانے میں کاپی پیسٹ کرکے شائع کردیں۔